Tuesday 1 November 2011

So I was looking at this tumblr http://fuckyeahganeca.tumblr.com/ , and I found it quite... interesting. See, I've never been to uni in Indonesia. After I graduated high school I went straight to Melbourne to do whateverit was that I did for 5 years. Anyway, anyway. Fuck I forgot what I was going to say. Anyway. Look, here's the thing. There is this one meme of the fuckyea guy (from the ragetoon comics) imposed on top of the Obama election poster. You know, the corny one, with the word 'hope' on it. Anyway, the poster said "made one tweet, got famous, don't need to be in the student committee to be famous". Now that got me thinking. That got my head workin, and that just got me thinking of what it would be like if I decided to go to school in Indonesia instead of Australia. First of all there is the problem of language. That's pretty obvious. I went to this school where I spoke English to the teachers. In hindsight I went to a school in Indonesia where everyone speaks, surprise surprise, fucking Indonesian. Well, I was just thinking if I actually go to a school in Indonesia, would I be able to communicate with anyone else? I don't think so. I wouldn't have a single goddamn clue how to write a technical essay in Indonesian, let alone a proper essay. Before I know it, I'd be the guy they would call 'bule' even though I clearly look more Indo than most Indos.

So anyway, that got my mind on this massive spin, right. I went through all the possible cross-points that lead me to this point. And of course, I wonder if I turn the other way, would I even be here? There is this massive understatement that it would be difficult to transition to a life in Indonesia. I think it'd be a bloody difficult thing. The culture, the people. Truth be told, I would probably quit the job on my first day because I have no intention of calling my boss "pak".

No comments: